7.26.2013

And that, my friends, is what you call a Pintrosity

The reupholstery project from last Summer is still etched into my memory, so to avoid having to reupholster these $20 chairs that are sporting their 1994 hunter green and 1967 pea green (I love this color, but it unfortunately doesn't work in the living room),












I decided to try painting them. Yes, painting. I've seen it on Pinterest. Famous last words. According to the MANY tutorials I read, you just mix latex paint with fabric medium, add a little water if it's still too thick, paint a couple of thin layers onto wet fabric, and boom! You have a practically new chair! I know what you're thinking: "Latex paint? That sounds like a terrible idea...". And to you I say, "It was."




Lots of people have done it and it has worked wonderfully for them. And honestly, I could probably do another 3 coats and it would look ok. But I don't love the color (I was trying to be efficient and use leftover paint) or the texture and, as much as I was not looking for another reupholstery project, I really do think they would turn out 10 times better reupholstered in a fabric of my choosing. So this is where I suck it up and admit that my idea was bad. And now, the bitter taste of reupholstery still in my mouth, I must reupholster our armchairs.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you SOOOOO much for posting this Britney. I am sorry that it turned out to be a Pinstrosity, but you pretty much saved my husband from hating me for messing up his man chair. I've had so many plans for this chair--reupholstering, painting, selling it. I think I will take painting off of the list. I have a friend here who painted a couch. It looks super cute, but she said it wasn't comfortable to sit in at all (here is the link- http://owensolivia.blogspot.com/2013/04/horse-stamp-tutorial.html). So, goodbye painting idea!

    ReplyDelete