7.22.2012

I love technology, but not as much as you, you see

A few months ago, I mentioned that I would one day blog about my sister's comment that math is boring. With my summer research project in mathematics coming to a close this week, I figured now would be as good a time as any.

The unprecedented intrinsic value of mathematics as the only absolute truth at which we can deductively arrive notwithstanding, if you like TV, or the internet, or toaster ovens, or, as Hugh Grant puts it in About a Boy "anything cool", then you like mathematics. Or at least the results of mathematics. I think it rather ungrateful to treat the subject with such disdain.

On a more direct level, if you like crossword puzzles, sudoku, brain teasers, tetris, or any other kind of puzzle, you like mathematics.

My conjecture is that when people say that math is boring, they really mean that math is hard.

Now, this is not meant to say that math is a better subject than any other. But math is interesting and fun and beautiful. Plus, when you study math you get to play around with Greek letters. Win win.

3 comments:

  1. I love technology but not as much as maths. Maths is interesting and beautiful. maths makes a person to use their brain more when compared to technology.

    Love Letters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. See guys? Love letters agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You provided an useful information in this blog and I just tried to post the same blog. So guys please read and get an useful information...

    collar stiffeners

    ReplyDelete